Thursday, July 23, 2009

Grilled Ceasar Salad

I had a grilled salad at Antonio's in Hilton Head last year, and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. So I devised this beauty. . .


For 2 servings. . .

Take one head of romaine lettuce and remove outer leaves and slice off the core. Heat a grill pan and drizzle with olive oil.

Put the cut side of the lettuce down on the hot grill. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn over. Sprinkle the cut side up with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 more minutes.

Remove to plate and drizzle ceasar dressing over the top. Garnish with croutons, parmasean cheese and anchovies if you dare!

My favorite Ceasar dressing EVER is from the Three Rivers Cookbook I (from Pittsburgh) printed in 1973. I love the sticker on the front of it: $6.95, from Gimbels. I must have stolen it from my Mom. No worries, she can't cook worth a crap. Never could. Recipes were of no help. Will have to post one of her famous recipes that we gagged, I mean, grew up on.

Blender Ceasar Dressing
by Mrs. Edward I. Sproull, Jr.

1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 salad oil
1 egg
Another 1/4 cup salad oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (my twist)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
anchovies (or anchovie paste)

Put first five ingredients in blender. Crack egg into microwave safe dish and cook on high for 30 seconds to "coddle" (to zap out any bacteria.)

Add egg to blender and turn on high. Immediately remove cover and add the rest of the oil. Turn off and add lemon juice and cheese. Add anchovy paste if you like (comes in a tube) or 2 - 3 anchovy filets. Pulse one more time. Or add anchovy filets to the salad. Or leave out if it grosses you out.

Chill to blend flavors. Do not double recipe - make twice instead.
Yields 1/2 - 2 cups.

Stays good in the fridge for 2 - 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment