Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Danish Celery Soup

OK, I can't really take credit for this recipe. My sister made it many years ago at Thanksgiving and I threatened her if she didn't share.

I have yet to find anything you can do to celery that I don't love. It's a very underappreciated vegetable.

This is my absolutely favorite soup ever!

1/4 cup butter
1 large bunch of celery, chopped
2 cups chopped onion (1 large onion)
1/4 cup flour (YOU CAN SUB CORNSTARCH TO MAKE THIS A GLUTEN FREE SOUP)
3 13 3/4 ounce cans chicken broth
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
salt & pepper
croutons (omit for gluten free)
1/4 cup fresh parsley

Melt butter in large stock pot. Stir in celery and onion. Cover and let cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and transparent. Do not brown. Stir in flour (or cornstarch) and chicken broth, stirring frequently. Add 1 cup of the soup mixture to the blue cheese in a separate saucepan. On low heat, stir until the cheese melts. Stir the mixture back into the large pot. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve with croutons.

Makes about 6 servings. . .I can eat a whole pot by myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment