Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blue Cheese Fondue

So speaking of blue cheese, if you've ever been to a party at my house, chances are you fought for a spot at the counter around the fondue pot. I have had people actually invite themselves over and ask if I will make it for them.

We have a rule in my house - no one goes home hungry. Some have also added that no one goes home sober either. As long as you go home, eventually.

I served this at a martini party we held. I had people bring their kids, as I certainly didn't want to pay for a babysitter. People asked why - and I replied that at least one of you will keep your wits about you, and I don't want to peel your drunk ass off my lawn at 3 am. Most people were gone by 10:30. Perfect!

So here goes. . .a slight adaptation from Williams-Sonoma's version. . .
OH, and it's GLUTEN FREE!

3/4 lb. Cambozola cheese, rind removed (this is an amazing cheese - kind of brie and blue combined, very smooth and creamy)
3/4 lb. stilton blue cheese, crumbled
5 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup dry white wine (you can sub apple juice or chicken broth if you prefer)
1 sprig of thyme, plus extra chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
Pinch cayenne
1 TB dijon mustard
2 TB fresh chopped chives

1 loaf of ciabatta bread, cut into cubes
Endive leaves

Mix cheese and cornstarch in a bowl. In a saucepan, combine wine (or broth/juice) and thyme sprig. Simmer until wine reduces by half. Fish out the thyme sprig and add a couple of teaspoons of chopped thyme. Whisk in cream, cayenne and black pepper and mustard. As soon as it begins to bubble (don't let it boil or scorch)add the cheese mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Use a rubber spatula to stir. Add additional cheese as it melts.

Serve in a fondue pot with the bread and endive. Top with chives.

Be careful making this - you will wind up with all kinds of new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment